I will explain Oracle Exadata database machine ( magic machine ) in this tutorial series.
Oracle Exadata database machine is a gigantic system in a full cabinet, as shown below, developed for the purpose of high availability and great performance for Oracle databases by using intelligent software-managed hardware, unique exadata software and unique high network speed.
So how does Exadata produce and what is the current version and history ? Let’s talk briefly about its history and its current situation.
In September 2008, Oracle announced the Exadata V1, also known as the HP Oracle Database Machine, in which the Software and Hardware run harmoniously. Although the first known Exadata software was Oracle, the hardware belonged to HP.
Next September 2009 in the Open World, Oracle acquired Sun Microsystem and Sun equipped Exadata V2 announced. In the first version of Exadata is produced for the purpose of Datawarehouse .
Sun SLC Flash cards are used in each server After Sun microsystem acquiring, thus Oracle exadata has been world’s first DWH and OLTP database machine.
After Exadata V1 and V2, Exadata X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7-2 and finally Exadata X8-2 are announced a few weeks ago.
Latest version of Exadata is Exadata X8-2 for now.
The size and technical capacity of Full Exadata in different versions are as follows. This information belongs to the Full exadata, so 1/2 exadata is half of Full Exadata ( in terms of Storage, CPU, Memory ), and also 1/4 Exadata is a quarter of Full exadata.
Latest Exadata X8-2 key features are like following.
• Exadata X8-2 is Up to 912 CPU cores and 28.5TB memory per rack for database processing
• Exadata X8-2 is Up to 576 CPU cores per rack dedicated to SQL processing in storage
• From 2 to 19 Database Servers per rack
• From 3 to 18 Storage Servers per rack
• Exadata X8-2 is Up to 920 TB of Flash capacity (raw) per rack
• Exadata X8-2 is Up to 3.0 PB of disk capacity (raw) per rack
• Hybrid Columnar Compression often delivers 10X-15X compression ratios in Exadata X8-2.
• Exadata X8-2 has 40 Gb/second (QDR) InfiniBand Network
• Complete redundancy for high availability
When Exadata machine comes with a cabinate, it is pre-installed with infinibands that will optimally network communicate between Storage Server and database server.
Datawarehouse, OLTP and other Mixed Workload Oracle database can run in Exadata.
Oracle database and RAC ( Real Application Software ) software deployed on the Exadata are the same to those in non-Exadata systems. Namely There is no a separate Oracle Real Application Cluster and Oracle Database for Exadata.
Do you want to learn Exadata detailed, then read the following articles.
Do you want to learn Oracle Database for Beginners, then read the following articles.
1,320 views last month, 2 views today