In this article, I will continue to explain you about Log Shipping technology in SQL Server.
Read previous article before this.
Now let’s install Log Shipping via a sample database and visually explain the implementation of Log Shipping. Before starting installation, we can determine the pre-requirements for Log Shipping as follows.
- Recovery Model must be either Full or Bulk-Logged in the primary database.
- There must be a shared folder on the Primary server that the Secondary Server can access. Transaction log backups will be kept in the shared folder and the secondary server will copy these files and restore the backups.
- The user to perform the Log Shipping configuration must be sysadmin role.
The SQL Server Instance and the status of the Log Shipping process are as follows.
Log Shipping işlemini gerçekleştireceğimiz SQL Server Instance ları ve statüleri aşağıdaki gibidir.
Primary (Production) Database: MYTESTINSTANCE
Secondary (Standby) Database: TEST2008R2
After complete the requirements, now start installation of Log Shipping. I’m creating a sample database and table called TestDatabase, TestTable.
Insert sample data into the TestTable table as below for log shipping testing.
Before starting installation of Log Shipping, we will follow the steps as following.
- Take Full Backup of the primary database and restore this backup on the Secondary Server in NoRecovery Mode.
- Perform the Log Shipping Configuration.
Take full backup of primary database like following.
Take Transaction log backup of primary database like following.
Restore this backup on the Secondary Server in NoRecovery Mode.
I will explain the configuration of Log Shipping in the Next article.
Do you want to learn Microsoft SQL Server DBA Tutorials for Beginners, then read the following articles.
2,217 views last month, 2 views today